Metova to lead Washington University Students at The Technology & Leadership Center Security Roundtable
Team Cyber Defense
Join us on Aug. 18th for a day of red team/blue team simulations led by Kevin Hofstra, Technical Director, Metova Federal LLC. Participants will be engaged in 2 concurrent tracks of competition. In the cyber defense event, teams will defend against an advanced and persistent cyber adversary. Are you able to identify and respond to a cyber attack? Teams will be scored on their ability to defend and respond to the cyber events. The team with the highest score will be named the cyber defense champion.
- Participants must bring a laptop to plug into the range via Ethernet.
- Participants will remote into a hosted player environment, so the only software needed is RDP and VNC.
- Teams are manually scored on responsive actions (Identify, Respond, Restore, Attribute) to pre-programmed attacks. Attacks will be identical against all teams.
Individual Cyber Exploits
An additional cyber offense event will be taking place for individuals to identify and exploit vulnerable cyber systems.
Can you compromise a system to degrade services and destroy functionality?
- Attackers will be tasked with exploiting a suite of highly vulnerable e-commerce systems defended by the selected teams. Attackers are subjectively rated based upon their ability to degrade e-commerce services and obtain privileged access and destroy system capabilities. The individual that causes the most disruption will be named the cyber offense champion.
- Participants must bring a laptop to connect into the range via WiFi.
- Participants will be directly connected into the range environment, so they must bring their own cyber attack tools. Please be aware that their systems may inadvertently be attacked, so they should consider using an image that can be wiped at the conclusion of the event. (Beginners might consider Kali Linux Live DVD.)
Breakfast and Networking 7:30 - 8:30 am
Morning Session 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Afternoon Session 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Kevin Hofstra is the Chief Technology Officer for Metova CyberCENTS, where he leads the development of Cyberoperations Enhanced Network and Training Simulators (CENTS®) for DoD, Federal and Commercial customers. He led the program training, exercising and testing of six US Air Force Cyber Protection Teams. Mr. Hofstra has an extensive technical background with certifications that include the Cisco CCIE #14619, ISC2 CISSP & CAP, Microsoft MCSE, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Project Management Professional (PMP) and Six Sigma Black Belt (SSBB). His background includes a BS - Computer Science from Yale and two MEs - Telecommunications & Engineering Management from the University of Colorado. Kevin also serves as the Communications Sector Chief for the Denver FBI InfraGard and is a strong advocate for public/private/academic partnerships.